Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hello World

Here we go.

My name is Rick, and I go by drinkdecaf. I'm 29, and realizing that if I want to do the things I've always wanted to do, I'd better start actually doing them.

I've always wanted to make games. So I'm doing that.

My first project is a 2-D tile-based platformer engine / game. I'm writing it using the love engine, which is cheating, I'm pretty sure. Programming in Lua wont grow hair on your chest, but it will get you started, which is what I'm after right now -- gotta crawl before I can run.

I've made some good progress so far on the engine - it loads a collision sheet and a sprite sheet, has collision detection I wrote that actually works pretty well, and has pretty good physics for the player character. It's nowhere near being a "game" yet, but its been fun working on it a little each day and getting closer to something that might be fun to play.


Right now, I'm using Tiled to create the level / colision maps, so my next step, boring though it may be, is to write a parser that reads the .tmx Tiled files into my game automatically - I've checked, but no one seems to have written one of these for Lua, so its up to me, it seems.

Other to-do items:
  • character start point loads from collision map
  • camera start point loads from collision map
  • character run animation
  • death
  • enemies
  • shooting
  • swimming

No comments:

Post a Comment