Monday, October 11, 2010

Sprites

Sprite system is a go!

Careful there, sparky.
It's funny how much time I'm spending on the little parts of this game. A tile-system took almost no time to implement. Character movement was done in 30 minutes. But making sure the character wouldn't continuously jump by holding down the jump key took about 3 hours (there are a surprising number of ways this scenario can happen), and adding dirt clods that fly when you jump or slide that are visible for all of 5 frames (less than half a second) has taken me two days.

I'd be worried about this except 1) I'm having a blast, and 2) I really think the little details are what separate a mediocre game from a truly excellent one. Thats not saying much, I know, except that maybe people can tell when you loved what you were working on.

To do:
  • smoother climb hills 
    • - Still having a problem with character hesitating at transition between flat and sloped tiles.
  • background tile layer
    • - Think I may implement this as a whole new tile layer. Maybe?
  • char animation
    •  - So many more frames than I ever realized!
  • death
  • enemies
  • shooting
  • swimming
  • scripting movies / camera

No comments:

Post a Comment